The Maverick (Short Story)

Photo by Museums Victoria
I once sailed the high seas, taking the adventures of a lifetime. I once traveled to the edges of the world, to places where no one had ever imagined. I once was filled with life and wonder and opportunity, with limits that knew no bounds.
But I sail no longer.
I can still hear the calls of the captain that day, back when I was such a landlubber, when we had yet to learn the consequences of recklessness and freedom.
“We set sail aboard the Maverick!” Captain Oswyn had called. With the last of the preparations finished, we coasted out of the pier and into the ocean. The cheers of celebration rang bright as we settled in for the journey ahead. “Adventure and discovery awaits, my friends, adventure and discovery awaits!”
I remember sailing through the sea—cruising along at 5 knots, the crew had seen no obstacles, encountered nothing of danger. The sea was calm, and the glory of discovery awaited. We thought we would sail easily through by and large—nothing could ever halt us! Oh, how we were wrong.
That storm, that fateful storm was what brought us down, as was with many a shipwreck. The heavy weather arrived suddenly, and caught off guard, the ship was in chaos as old man Oswyn yelled commands to the crew. “Furl the sails! Head for the low side!”
But their efforts were in vain, and so I found myself lying upon the rocky shore. Our dreams of the Maverick, our ship of freedom, of adventure and glory, they were broken like the mast that had fallen to the ground, torn like the sails that would work no longer.
The injuries I sustained were severe; my side was broken beyond repair. Left behind with the ill, the lame, the dead, I was abandoned, left to die on the rocky shores of the North Sea. Another one lost at sea, we would disappear, fade away—the Maverick, left to be forgotten. And no one would ever know where we lay.
Oh, but I should know. For I am the Maverick, I am the one who carried the crew through the crashing waves, the one who sailed bravely through the waters, the one who now lies forgotten on the rocks. The ones who were with me live no longer, just as I never will.
There is no hope for sailing now—covered with rime, the frost on my figure diminishes any hope of ever taking to the seas again.
I once sailed the high seas, taking the adventures of a lifetime. I once traveled to the edges of the world, to places where no one had ever imagined. I once was filled with life and wonder and opportunity, with limits that knew no bounds.
But now I am broken, a frosted ship, a ghost of what I used to be. I can only watch the waves as they crash onto the shore; I will never join them again.
:O :O :O The last few paragraphs are stunning. Amazing job. <3
ReplyDelete