space (definition poem, escapril day 3)
space
/speɪs/
noun
- take your light years & line them up like so—tonight at this collision of worlds we watch these visions, these galaxies from billions of years ago. spectate this sight from so inconceivably far away that it takes light billions of years to cross the void between. & in the middle lies all this empty—despite the world being so large and filled with things the universe is still so sparse. & i can’t ever seem to fully grasp this strange reality.
- yet if we reach into the smallest bits of tree bark, tear the layers away & away, to cells & molecules until we have no more than a single atom, we find that what we thought was substance was in reality just empty space. what we perceive to be rock solid not as solid as we think. & i can’t ever seem to fully grasp this strange reality.
- & despite the empty our world is so big—our speck in this empty sky colossal. in this universe interspersed with bits of something among the void, we find hope amid the empty. & i can’t ever seem to fully grasp this strange reality.
---
Day 3: Empty, except for...
I really liked this format that I was using a few months back, so I finally decided to give it a whirl! It was harder doing it for a multiple-word prompt, and a bit short, but I think it turned out nicely!
Comments
Post a Comment